Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Barcelona, Spain

Just a heads up this is a really detailed post because I want to remember as much as I can about this trip so I highly suggest skipping to the pictures :)

My weekend in Barcelona was easily one of the best weekends of my life. Not only was the city amazing, and so much fun, but it was just what I needed after feeling a bit homesick while being in Ireland. I looooooooved hanging out with Tyler all weekend, and getting to hang out with people my age. It was the most refreshing thing and it made living in Europe feel super great. Like how cool is it that I was able to hop on a plane for a couple of hours and land in Barcelona?!

Getting to Barcelona didn't go as smooth as I had hoped but I made it so everything's good. I took the air coach from the Frascati center (just under a mile from my house) to get to the airport, and because it only came every hour I decided to take the earlier bus just to be safe. I hadn't seen it rain in Ireland up to this point, but the day I left was a very rainy day. I was a hot mess walking to the bus trying to keep all of my luggage dry. I was soaked but my raincoat kept my backpack, camera and suitcase dry ;-) I got to the airport and there was nobody in line for anything so I got through super fast. I was way early which made me laugh at myself for leaving my house at 4:00 but I figured waiting around for a couple of hours was no big deal. Unfortunately my flight got delayed because the French ATC was on strike. The Dublin airport rocks and has free WIFI so thank heavens I was able to let Tyler know since he was picking me up, and I'm even more grateful my flight wasn't cancelled. If I would have booked my flight a day earlier it would have been cancelled and I would have been one sad girl.  Anywhoosies I ended up spending about six hours at the airport and I got to Barcelona at 3:00 AM on Thursday instead of 12:00 AM like I planned. Tyler was the nicest and met me at the airport even though he had work early in the morning. We made it back to his apartment at 4:00 and bless his heart he only got a few hours of sleep before he had to wake up and go to work. He really is the b-e-s-t.  
My first day in Spain was spent hanging out with Ty's friend, Lee, while he was at work. She was the nicest and I am so glad she was kind enough to show me around. We also found out we have the same birthday we were obviously meant to be friends. We just shopped and she showed me all of the cool places to go. I was the worst shopping friend because I'm picky so even though I appreciated all of her suggestions I didn't buy anything which probably made me seem like I didn't really like her suggestions. We got some really yummy topas to share in between all the shopping but my appetite was all out of whack from traveling so much. I pretty much just stuck to my fresh squeezed orange juice which was amazing. Torill would have been in heaven because all of the orange juice in Spain was fresh squeezed. It was a dream come true! I had a fun afternoon but I was dying to see Tyler. The second Ty told us he was headed home I was praising the heavens. As soon as we got back to his apartment Ty and his roommate joined us and we all went to La Sagrada Familia. It is a Roman Catholic church designed by Antoni Gaudi. They started building it in 1882 and it isn't expected to be done until 2026. You better believe it was incredible, and you also better believe I forgot all of these dates so I used google for a quick reminder ;)

After La Sagrada Familia we went to a bar for the evening to meet up with some people and to watch the world cup. It was way too crowded and I was starving by this point so I was more than thrilled when Tyler said we could go somewhere else. Lee wasn't liking the crowd either so she joined us for some Kebabs and then we headed to an Irish (my peeps ;) ) to watch the world cup. It's a real problem when I don't drink alcohol and I don't like soda because I would be happy sipping on some water, but I always feel guilty so I end up drinking coke which is especially gross over here. Yikees it gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Anyways after the game we did a little bit of shopping that was more up my alley. We went to this really great store, which I later saw in the Barcelona airport so maybe it wasn't that cool (?) and I bought myself a nice head scratcher and the cutest little tea cups and saucers for my nieces. I wanted to buy a million more things in the store but I tried my best to be responsible ;) We also got some gelato after I had been talking about it all day and I somehow managed to get the nastiest flavor. That's what I get for being annoying about it ;) We headed home semi-early and hung out. I was seriously spent and Tyler had homework so I read and went to bed while he did his thing. It was such a great day but the best was yet to come.

 La Sagrada Familia
This guy + Spain is as good as it gets.

1 comment:

  1. I CANT HANDLE YOU IN THESE PHOTOS. YOU LOOK SO CUTE. YOU GUYS ARE SO CUTE. I MISS YOU.

    ReplyDelete